Pages

Saturday, August 30, 2008

Training for the Turkey Trot 2008

So this November we, as a family, are going to compete in our first race. Each kid has their own race and and the parents have theirs. The adults have an 8k, 7-12 year olds run a 1/2 mile, 5-6 year olds run 1/4 mile and 2-4 year olds run 50 yard dash! It sounds exciting and I can't wait to do it with the kids. Right now we are trying to figure out how to do the run and make sure we get the kids back for their races. Anyway, we decided to "train" for the trot a couple of nights ago, so we headed over to a nearby track and just let the kids run. John ran a 1 1/4 mile, Emily ran a mile, Kiley ran a 1/2 mile and Karli ran 3/4 mile (without stopping but just a few seconds between each quarter). Jason and I were dying laughing. We couldn't believe our eyes. Karli was the funniest because she stopped and she wasn't even out of breathe. We kept asking her, "Are you ok?" "Keep going mommy!" We had a good chuckle! John loves that Jason runs the marathon and really wants to win this race. I am so glad that we have a hobby as a family. I wish growing up that we did more active things so I hope this instills in them a desire to be active and enjoy excercising and keeping your body healthy and strong...and having fun while doing it! I'm excited to see how I do at the Turkey Trot and see my progress in my training! I think it will be a lot of fun! Well, I am now going to trot off to sleep! Good night!

No comments: