Pages

Thursday, July 17, 2008

Fun in Joliet while Jason is working hard...





So Jason is in summer school these past couple of weeks so I decided to break it up for the kids and I and take them down to my parents house in Joliet (see note on speeding ticket!). We had a blast hanging out with my nephew Lukus and of course my parents and my sister Leslie. On Monday I found out that the library near them was having story time so we decided to head over. They had a great children's area with a HUGE tree to curl up under to read some books. So we did that while we waited for story time. Then "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" story time began. We had fun singing some songs and hearing a librarian read some baseball stories (I LOVE baseball!). Then they had a fun craft for us to do, making baseball fans. The kids had fun coloring their baseballs and waving them around to cool them off. It did happen to be a hot day!


Tuesday we headed to the nature center near my mom's house. We love going there. We get to pet turtles (which we hope to own someday) and look at all the different bugs and animals they have. We even got to help a big beetle flip back over on its right side so it could walk. A cool thing we found was that you could rent a backpack and poles and do a pond study! Yeah, a science lesson for school and I didn't even have to plan it. YES! We had fun collecting the water and looking a microinvertabres and then identifying which ones they were. We saw tiny, tiny mosquito larve, baby damselfly, etc. It was facinating. The kids had fun. We then went for a nature walk, but remembered to watch out for the three leafed inching machine!
I have found this summer some exciting new things to take advantage of that are FREE just around the everyday places that we go. It has been fun and the kids and I have had some great experiences fun and learning too!

No comments: