Pages

Saturday, May 30, 2009

As I contemplate why I chose the curriculum that I did...

So ends the our homeschool year. The kids worked so hard this year, it is crazy how fast it went. Only a couple of months until it all starts again, and we all know how fast that will go. So as I was looking forward to next year and contemplating last I thought I would write out what I liked and disliked about each of the curriculums that I chose to use this year. There is some things that I found that can be helpful to those of you who do not homeschool, but are looking for something to supplement your kids learning at their school. So below has something for everyone.

History - Story of the World - I have loved it because I love how it really tells a story and makes it fit together like it should instead of different pieces. I also like it because of the different ideas and books it has to get more out of it. If I can just find time to actually do more of the projects then that would be great. We will continue with this next year heading into the Medevial times. The only thing I wish is that it had more bible history thrown into it, it has some, but not as much as I would have liked.

Science - Abeka - I am glad that I chose this curriculum. It was just the right amount of information to put in and it also connected everything back to God and how God made it, etc. I enjoyed using it this year.

Math - Saxon - I have always loved Saxon just because how it is written made me fall in love with math. So, it will be hard to break me of this curriculum.

Reading - Ordinary Parents Guide to Teaching Reading (supplimented with Abeka readers) - I have really enjoyed this guide and the kids have read harder words a lot soon than when I was using Abeka...I think it gives a great progression to the reader. I have enjoyed it. I would strongly suggest this to anyone who is homeschooling or just looking to suppliment what their kids are being taught at school.

Grammer - First Language Lessons by Jessie Wise - This is by the same author as the Ordinary Parents Guide. It is great and I have loved every lesson of it. It repeats enough and moves on just at the right places. So we will be sticking with this for a while as well.

Spelling - Abeka (and used www.spellingcity.com) - Last year I had used another spelling curriculum for John and found there was no reason for the list that the kids were given. I really like the Abeka Spelling curriculum because it gives the spelling rule and then the words that follow it. So it makes sense. Won't be changing for a while. Also, really check out the above website, it is also found on the sidebar too. It has helped John with his spelling so much, it makes it really fun. Again, something you can use with your kids to supplement their spelling in school.

Bible - Using various books to learn definitions of values and verses to go along with them. We also are apart of Community Bible Study which has homework for the kids so we have also used that as well as part of our study. It has been a perfect fit.

Music - Piano lessons- That is enough! 8-)

Spanish and Art was suppose to be done this year, but was not able to bring that in. Although John, and Emily and Kiley will join him next year, has been attending a school for homeschoolers on Fridays. They have been covering Art (Sculpture, Journalism, Drawing, and Art History to name a few) so I am not too worried about that but have found a great book to teach kids how to draw so I will be doing that this summer. Also, we have a Spanish curriculum that we are going to try out this summer as well. It is put together to work with the whole family so we are going to try and do it all together. So I will have to keep you updated on that. Look more later in the year.

So that sums up our year. I am looking forward to getting new books and seeing what the kids do this year! It should be exciting. And to answer the question that everyone asks me, how long am I going to do this? Until God tells me otherwise. Until then they get me all the time, they are stuck with me. Oh well! I am glad for it, I enjoy it, most days! 8-)

No comments: