Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Our new little hobby...playing the stock market...

So, it has always been my dream to just "play the stock market." Ever since freshman year in high school when our economics class had us each pick a stock and follow it I have wanted to try it on my own. Of course, in high school my stock was terrible and lost a lot during my time tracking it, but it still seemed like fun. I had mentioned it to my husband a few times through out the years when the market has done bad. "We should just put in $100.00, pick a low stock that we think will do well later and just do it." We would chuckle and not do it. Well, on Monday he came to me and said, "Let's do it!" The stocks were so low so we decided to go for it. Had I gone with my instincts on Worldcom I would have done great a few years back, oh well! Here is our chance! Anyway, of course, we have no idea what to look for, but we finally decided to pick AIG. Crazy as it sounds we really think that it will come back up. So, we bought 40 shares at $2.50 a share on Sharebuilder.com and and we are in the stock market. As of right now our shares are worth about $4.00 a share so we have already earned a little bit. We decided that it would be a little hobby of ours to check on our baby every once in a while (ok, it has been fun checking on it a few times each day)...our pre-marriage counseling told us to make sure that we have a lot of fun doing things together. We just found a new one. Win or lose it is fun playing. We are even having the kids keep track for fun and learning about the stock market. Crazy, I know, but don't you know our family??? 8-)

No comments: