Pages

Thursday, June 11, 2009

Life is an adventure...

Little did we know Monday night that the next few days would be full of fun and adventure. We were expecting fun, but didn't realize just how much fun, we as a family, would have. It all started with this little thing right HERE6
Yes, this thing 5decided to act like a uncontrollable robot. I still don't know how we made it to the service station. I am thinking God probably had something to do with it!
We knew that we were suppose to leave Tuesday to head to MI for my father-in-law's 65th birthday celebration. LONG STORY SHORT our car was far from okay ($1,000 computer malfunction to be exact), so the only way to get there was to get tickets on AMTRAK (thanks to the help of my in-laws). So an hour before we were suppose to head out in the car, I was selecting what I could fit in one suitcase and trying to figure out how to get the kids and I downtown to meet Jason (who was working down there). Thankfully, a neighbor volunteered to take us to the 'L' station, but at the last second decided to drive us all the way down to Union Station (thanks Steve!!).
(above): the kids and I waiting for Jason to meet us at the station. Since our neighbor saved us the expense of us on the train, we decided to get a little treat.
(below): The kids in the Grand Hall...it reminds me of My Best Friend's Wedding...one of my favorites.
We got on the train and enjoyed a fun trip. It has been John's dream to ride on the Amtrak train, so he was elated!


Below: passing the time reading all the places Amtrak can take you!

We finally made it to Michigan and had a great time meeting some new cousins we haven't met before. Eli, 4, who wouldn't get in the picture, totally looked up to John and wanted to do everything that he did. He kept saying, "Where's my friend John?" John at first wasn't sure about it, but took it in stride and made Eli feel like a "big boy".
Below: (lft to Rt) Wes, John, Jason and "Uncle" Bill (Wes' college friend)


After cake and celebrations, Jason wanted to take his dad on a walk along the beach. So we went to catch the sunset at Silver Beach.



below: Sharon and Wes at the pier


The kids got to enjoy a "dip" in the water.

The next morning we headed to the train station in the pouring rain. Here is our train pulling into the station. This was at 9:30 Eastern time (8:30 Central). Our train was suppose to get in at 10:30 Central...little did we know...


...that this was not to be true...



below: enjoying some coloring

The train went through Flash Flood Warnings the whole way, which meant going 15 miles an hour the whole way. Our two hour trip turn into a 5 1/2 hour one!
(above) to pass the time I was trying my artistic hand at drawing a portrait of them. As you can see I did not take a picture of it and put it on here! 8-)


(above) After a 3 1/2 hour delay, total 5 1/2 hour tour, the kids get excited to see Union Station! ***There is no picture of the 3 block run the kids had to do in the pouring rain, and the train ride***

(above) Riding on the bus on our way home.

(below) The final 1/4 mile walk home from the bus stop.
Notice the beige jacket that Kiley is wearing, a man on the 'L' saw that my kids were cold and GAVE us his jacket so they wouldn't get sick. It was a great example to my kids of selflessness.



It was a crazy adventure for us, but the kids were AMAZING and for the most part had great smiles on their faces. I was impressed at the fact that John did not did not complain once, and that even though Emily did not want to run in the rain, she did it and kept going because she knew she had to. I loved that Emily took hold of Karli's hand and encouraged her when Karli thought she couldn't go any further. I loved that Karli kept going even though she wanted to give up. I was excited to see Kiley really push hard through the fact she didn't want to trudge that last quarter mile, but did. I congratulated and encouraged the kids that people on the train praised the kids for handling themselves better than some of the grown-ups. I thank God for the situation to teach the kids to be content no matter what the circumstances and that sometimes things are thrown at us in life the we CAN'T STAND, but we have to learn to roll with the punches. It was a great chance for Jason and I to do nothing for five hours but hang out with our kids. To see the selflessness of the man on the train and what an example he was to the kids and I and how I hope that I am that example of love to others I met during my day. This was a crazy throw in our schedule, but such a blessing in so many ways. May I use this trip to continue to learn how to be patient, learn to love without strings and to enjoy each curve ball that is thrown my way. Live is a great adventure I am glad to be a part of!

1 comment:

JESSICA said...

What an unexpected, but wonderful adventure you guys had! You and Jason were such an example of Christ to your kids through this whole ordeal. Thanks for the loving reminder for me to remember to do my best to turn the negative things that happen into positives! : )