Pages

Friday, March 27, 2009

A New Favorite and the Wisdom Wall



My new favorite book that has helped me out with train my kids is Parenting with Scripture by Kara Durbin. It is a great book that is divided by different topics and gives verses that go along, as well as, discussions for you and your children to have regarding the topics. Then it gives you an action to do to reinforce those values. Click this link to see an inside view of this wonderful book. We have been using this as a great bible time at the beginning of our school day. When I am instructing the kids it is a great reference to what God has to say about different issues that they are dealing with. And since I don't have the book with me at all teaching moments, I made my own wisdom wall that I can glance at whenever I need it. I can also have the kids come over and read a definition of what they have done and the the corresponding verse. Depending on what they have done they can copy it out for me. It has taken me seven years to figure out how to handle my scatterbrain self and with disciplining my kids (they even have to remind about their punishments sometimes, sad I know!)! Post notes everywhere!!! The verse I am working on James 1:19, "Everyone must be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry." Is laminated and posted on my bathroom mirror. All the cards on the Wisdom Wall are laminated so that I won't have to do it again! 8-) They are taped so I can easily take them off to have a child right it out and then stick it back on the wall. Now, I didn't do all of the topics, just ones that they are working on right now...that seem to be a problem. As you can see, there are enough. I have had to use the wall from time to time for my attitude too! So, it has been a great reminder for me as to what God really wants me to do! Check out this book, it has been such a great resource for me. I just "stumbled" upon it, although I think Someone much bigger than me actually tripped my feet to find it! I hope this book encourages you, as it has me. Happy Parenting!

No comments: